ICCVAM Evaluation of the Validation Status of the LLNA
In September 1998, NICEATM hosted a meeting of an independent peer review panel to evaluate the murine local lymph node assay (LLNA) as an alternative test method for assessing the allergic contact dermatitis potential of chemicals in humans. The final peer review report was published in February 1999. The peer review panel concluded that the LLNA is a valid alternative to currently accepted guinea pig test methods, and that the LLNA reduces the number of animals required for testing and eliminates animal pain and distress associated with an allergic reaction.
ICCVAM Peer Review Report
The Murine Local Lymph Node Assay: A Test Method for Assessing the Allergic Contact Dermatitis Potential of Chemicals/Compounds
The Results of an Independent Peer Review Evaluation Coordinated by the Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods (ICCVAM) and the National Toxicology Program Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods (NICEATM)
February 1999 — NIH Publication No. 99-4494
Transmittal of ICCVAM Recommendations
Letter from Dr. Kenneth Olden, Director, NIEHS, to Ms. Carol Browner, Administrator, U.S. EPA, transmitting results of the independent peer review evaluation of the LLNA (sent February 16, 1999)
Response from Dr. Steven Galson, EPA, on behalf of Ms. Browner (received October 19, 1999)
- RDS Press Release on the SmithKline Beecham Laboratory Animal Welfare Prize (November 2000) -- awarded for development of the LLNA
- "Good News for Guinea Pigs" (Science Magazine) Oct. 02, 1998
- "New Tricks for an Old Assay" (Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) Magazine) Oct. 1998
- "U.S. scientists endorse change in animal testing" (originally appeared on CNN Interactive, reproduced with permission from Reuters) Sept. 21, 1998
- New Agency Group to Review Proposed Use of Skin Sensitivity Test Using Fewer Animals (NIEHS) Sept. 10, 1998
ECVAM Scientific Advisory Committee (ESAC) Statement on the Scientific Validity of Local Lymph Node Assay for Skin Sensitisation Testing . Endorsement made during 14th Meeting, held on 14 - 15 March 2000 at ECVAM, Ispra, Italy. Statement released 21 March 2000.
An LLNA Training Workshop, organized by ILSI HESI and ICCVAM, was held May 25, 2005, at the NIH Natcher Conference Center in Bethesda, MD. For additional information, please contact ILSI HESI at email@example.com.