Testing Status of Methyl isobutyl ketone - 10314-Y
Used as a denaturant for rubbing alcohol; as a solvent for paints, varnishes, nitrocellulose, lacquers, and protective coatings; in industrial extraction processes; in dry-cleaning preparations; and in the synthesis of methyl isobutyl carbinol. Associated with tobacco: reported either as a natural component of tobacco, pyrolysis product (in tobacco smoke), or additive for one or more types of tobacco products.
- 2 years (Inhalation)
- TR-538 (NIH Number: 07-4476)
(Peer Review Approval 09/27/2005A )
Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Methyl Isobutyl Ketone (CASRN 108-10-1) in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice (Inhalation Studies)
- Rats: F344/N; Mice: B6C3F1
- Carcinogenesis Results
- Male Rats Some Evidence
- Female Rats Equivocal Evidence
- Male Mice Some Evidence
- Female Mice Some Evidence
- Dose: R&M: 0, 450, 900, OR 1800 PPM.
- Citation: Zeiger, E., Anderson, B., Haworth, S., Lawlor, T., and Mortelman, K. Salmonella Mutagenicity Tests V. Results from the Testing of 311 Chemicals Environ. Molec. Mutagen. Vol. 19 (Suppl 21) (1992) 2-141