RoC Review of Cobalt and Cobalt Compounds that Release Cobalt Ions In Vivo
Primary Uses or Exposures
- Class that includes cobalt metal and both water-soluble and poorly water-soluble cobalt compounds that release cobalt ions in vivo (hereinafter collectively refer to as cobalt).
- Used primarily in the production of metal alloys or carbide for a variety of commercial and medical application. Some cobalt compounds are used as pigments for glass, ceramics, and pottery. A more recent use is in rechargeable batteries for electric vehicles and consumer electronics and solar panels, i.e., "green energy."
- People are exposed to cobalt from industries that refine cobalt from ores, produce cobalt, use cobalt-containing products, and recycle cobalt-containing electronics.
- People are potentially exposed to cobalt from failed surgical implants.
- In their everyday lives, the public may be exposed to low levels of cobalt through food, drinking contaminated water, and living near industrial sites.
|Oct 01, 2014||RoC Concept|
|Jul 01, 2015||Literature Search Strategy|
|Apr 22, 2016||RoC Monograph - Final|
Meetings & Events
|Jul 22, 2015||Peer Review of the Draft RoC Monograph on Cobalt and Certain Cobalt Compounds||Expert Panels - RoC Monographs||
|Dec 01, 2015||NTP Board of Scientific Counselors Meeting||Board of Scientific Counselors||
|Apr 16, 2014||NTP Board of Scientific Counselors Meeting||Board of Scientific Counselors||
Supplemental materials for some events, meetings, and workshops prior to 2018 have been archived. These archived materials frequently include presentations, background materials, and public comments. Email us or use our contact form to request a list or copy of archived materials.
Note on Accessibility: Persons with disabilities or using assistive technology may find some documents are not fully accessible. For assistance, email us or use our contact form and identify the documents/pages for which access is required. We will assist you in accessing the content of these files. NIEHS has helpful information on accessibility.
- On This Page
- Abstract for TOX-5
- Abstract for TR-471
- Abstract for TR-581
- Testing Status of Cobalt 10204-K
- Testing Status of Cobalt Naphthenate M88222
- Testing Status of Cobalt Sulfate 10228-S
- Testing Status of Cobalt Sulfate Heptahydrate M88032
- Testing Status of Cobaltocene M20415
- Testing Status of Cobaltous Chloride M070004